Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A PBL Tefilas Ha'Derech


Our school (MHAFYOS) is making a shift to project based learning in an attempt to focus on 21st century skills. I have found that the videos of projects you see at school meetings are lovely, but incomplete in two ways. First, they fail to demonstrate how the learning happens, meaning they show a culminating project, but leave out the part where the students learn the skills needed to create that project. Second, they are almost never about a text based course, and I teach Gemara. So, I am teaching the eighth perek of Sanhedrin this year and I will try to have a project based classroom.  I will be using this blog to explain what I am doing, and reflect on how it went. I will post the projects and scaffolding I give the students in an attempt to demonstrate how the learning happens through the project.  As I begin the journey a Tefilas Haderech is most certainly in order: “May it be the will of Hashem that no mistake come from my hand, that I not falter in a matter of law, and that my colleagues be pleased with my work. May Hashem make the words of Torah sweet in our mouths so that we and our students continuously enjoy studying His Word.” My thanks to Rabbi Noam Stein who is my teammate on the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment